Wednesday, 3 March 2010

We judge books by their covers




Currently doing a live brief for the Penguin book adult prize. Whilst looking at existing book covers, I discovered Vintage Publishing, and an amazing art director - John Gall. I love his use of 2d materials to create a 3d looking cover, with depth and space. 

The man himself said: 
' A really great cover is going to convey the essence of the book in a unique and surprising way that maybe pushes the design envelope a bit. It might even add to and enhance the editorial content of the book.'
'I’ve always been kind of interested in flat 2D space vs. representational 3d space and how to create space using 2D elements as well as negating or poking holes in space within a  3d context. When designing a cover we’re basically reworking the same 5 x 8 or 6 x 9 space over and over, so I’m always trying to arrange elements into interesting juxtapositions and trying to find some breathing room. It’s very easy to clutter up the page.' 

No comments: